Saturday, April 17, 2010

Not Your Momma's Stuffed Peppers!

I remember stuffed green peppers from my childhood. I remember not liking the green peppers, but eating all the "stuff" inside. I think my mom's recipe was ground hamburger, rice, tomato puree (or sauce or crushed tomatoes), and cheese. Ok, except white rice isn't exactly healthy anymore and we don't really go for tomatoes in our house. So we "healthy-ized" it. Recipe follows:

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground buffalo
1/2 c. dry quinoa
green peppers, hulled out (we had 3 and enough stuff for 4)
little bit of shredded cheese- maybe 3 oz total
seasonings
can of green chiles (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Prepare quinoa according to package. Mine was a little wet, but it worked out just fine.
3. Brown buffalo in frying pan, adding whatever seasonings you want. I left it up to Ivan, so he put in garlic powder, cayenne, paprika, Mrs. Dash Spicy, red pepper flakes. Add water and the green chiles to the buffalo as you cook it (low and slow) to ensure it stays juicy.
4. Combine buffalo and quinoa in a big bowl- mix gently. Add about 1 oz of the cheese to 'bind' it together.
5. Set the green peppers in a square baking dish or whatever you want to cook them in. I don't suggest a cookie sheet unless you are making a LOT of them cause they'll fall over.
6. Stuff 'em. I stuff them really full and then mound it a little up on top too.
7. Top them with the remaining cheese.
8. Bake for 20-25 mins or until you can smell them.... I mean, until the pepper is fork tender.
(although seriously, I did smell them and said "they're done"- looked at the timer- 1 min left.)
Enjoy. Bet you can't eat just one! (our peppers were small, sadly....)

No comments:

Post a Comment